I Hope You Dance
7.24.25
It feels like a full day already and it's only noon. I didn't run this morning. Instead, I visited Mom early at 6:15 am. She was alert, eyes open, making noise, and moving her hands. I talked to her gently. Rachel reminded me to say what I need to every time I see her. She could be waiting or spiritually know I haven't said my peace. I'm so grateful for these amazing people.
I told mom I love her and that she will always be with me. I also very explicitly said, "You will not be forgotten." One of her fears she shared with me early on in this journey. I told her she was beautiful and it reminded me of Joe Cocker's "You Are So Beautiful" and so I sang it. She winced a little in the face when I began to croon. And I said, "you did not pass down your singing voice." We laughed together. it was short, but it was most definitely a "you got that right" kind of laugh. Then I put on "Always On My Mind" by Willie Nelson on my phone. It was one of the songs she had written down in her notebook. It seemed sad and I could kind of tell from her furrowed brows that it wasn't what she was hoping for. I switched it to "I Hope You Dance" by Leann Womack. We both got emotional. She noticed. I was crying and her face gave me this look, "please don't cry." Then she mouthed "I love you." It was a precious moment I'll cherish forever. Shortly after, it was med time. But we had 3 hours of quality time together.
I returned with 2 boxes of her books (not the political ones). Jenn at the front desk sifted through them and the nurses came by and picked up a few. The rest will go on the shelves in the visiting room. The collection was certainly a little "stale."
On my way out, Jenn said "thank you for bringing other some joy."
That's all Mom!
Comments
Post a Comment