Final Day
7.27.25
This morning, I woke abruptly to a phone call at 3am from Gilchrist. It was Olivia, Mom peacefully passed away at 2:45am.
After visiting last night, I had a feeling we were in the final hours. Her breathing sounded painful but the nurse reassured me she's not in pain. They gave her a bath in case "she leaves us tonight." Fiona and I stayed up late watching "Extremely Loud and Incredibly Close." An incredible story of a boy who loses his father (physically) in 9/11 but gains an adventure that would have made him proud and learning that everyone carries so much weight. It's lighter when we realize that and embrace one another.
I called Dad as I left the house to head to Gilchrist. I texted Cathy, also.
Walking into Mom's Room No. 7, the air felt different, calm, sterile, lifeless. Her spirit had moved on. The physical being in front of me was not the wholeness of her, of Momma. Her eyes were slightly open, her lips turning pale, and her chest ... eerily calm. I had been staring at that chest for what feels like months but probably the last 7-10 days. To see her so still, was what broke me open.
Cathy showed up and provided a lot of comfort. We called the crematory and packed her things. Then we talked. Cathy shared so much with me over the past few months. A lot I didn't know, other stories I thought I knew (second hand). She has been my rock and while I may not be willing to adapt to her religion (or any one religion for that matter), I respect it and her.
Watching Momma's lifeless body be wrapped, tagged, and carried out was painful. Again, this just her physical body. Her spiritual body is all around me and never "leaves." I need to believe what I told Fiona, and I do, but I need to remind myself.
Dan Rather's email today highlighted the no. 1 song from 2000, "I Hope You Dance" by Leann Womack. The same song that made me cry when Mom and I listened to it on Thursday, and when she mouthed "I love you" for the last time.
Signs of you everywhere, Momma. I'll stay open to receive them, always.
My Facebook post:
Oh, Momma. I don’t even know where to begin. I guess I’ll start with our first photo together and our last. So much to say but could never be able to adequately describe how much I already miss you, how I missed you as you slowly began to leave me the last 3 months. I’ll hold onto every moment we shared together, even the ones that challenged the way we communicated in your final days. You’re the strongest and most courageous person I know. I’ll feel you during every thunderstorm, sunrise, sunset, birdsong, and crashing wave. Until we meet again, “I love you, hon.”
<3
RIP, Momma
7.18.52 - 7.27.25
Comments
Post a Comment