Our Final Hug
7.25.25
I am patiently waiting for the AC company to arrive to replace our HVAC system that broke last weekend. It's supposed to be 97 degrees and real feel of 110 degrees. So that's fun.
Yesterday, I went back to visit mom just before dinner time. The books had been spread around the first floor. Nurses were holding a few, a few others by their mobile desks. Mom was alert and kept moving her left arm, so I moved to that side. We talked and something was telling me she may be using her arm to signal she wanted to give me a hug. So I asked, "are you trying to give me a hug?" Her eyebrows lifted, like she was saying "YES!" I carefully put my right arm under her neck and pressed my chest against hers and right cheek against her right cheek. I couldn't see the expression on her face, but she didn't make a sound. I was worried she had stopped breathing. I looked up and her right eye was teary, and she looked like that was just what she needed. We did always treasure our hugs.
After dinner (and a day spent) at Nick's parents painting, making deviled eggs, playing Monopoly, and watching Nana and Pop Pop take their inaugural trip on their new electric bikes, Nick and I stopped over to see Mom. He hadn't seen her since her birthday. She has changed a lot in 6 days. She was alert and we talked to her. I gave her some water, chapstick, and put on CMT Music Channel so she could listen to some of her favorite country hits. I could tell it was tough for Nick to see her like that. I'm happy he was there for me.
This morning, I woke up from a dream. I'm not sure exactly which dream because I had a few different scenes in my mind. However, this didn't feel like a dream. I felt a presence over me or next to me. I don't think I opened my eyes. I could smell something that reminded me of Mom. It felt so close and so strong and lingered a long time. I don't know how long it took me to drift back to sleep, but it was a solid few hours until I woke up to Nick's alarm clock. Lately, I've slept terribly. I'll wake up between 2-3am and then just lay awake with so many things running through my mind. My mom's smell calmed me though, and I was back to sleep.
I visited her a few minutes because I have to be home. The night nurse walked me out and told me that she knows my mom is ready to go on to the next world. Sondra said she'll go when she's ready and feels it will be on her own terms, so stay close to Gilchrist. She'll be back tonight. I ran home thinking I hope I'm not encouraging her to hang on by spending so much time with her. I don't think so because I tell her that I understand she needs to go through her own journey and that "I'll be ok." All I can do is have faith we are still communicating on a deeper level even if she can't speak and tell me her wishes.
Comments
Post a Comment