Outer Banks
OBX holds a place in my heart. My first trip was with both of my parents for my 7th birthday even though they had been divorced since before my earliest memory. It was all I wanted, a beach trip with both of them and they made it happen. It was right after the Gulf War began. During the day we lounged on the beach and pool or go to the Foosball Palace (no longer exists) to play games and the juke box. At night, we were glued to the television. Then I'd return to Duck with my dad and his side of the family each June for many years.
When Fiona turned 4 years old, the three of us began a new family tradition. Since then, we have been 8 times. Many years with our parents, Nick's siblings, and niece and nephew, including an evacuation during Hurricane Florence.
This year it was different, for obvious reasons. My mom wasn't planning on going, but she had gone with us 4 of the recent trips. I knew this year's trip would be cathartic having endured the most challenging 4 months of my life and knowing that it's just the beginning of a new life without my rock, my guiding light, my Momma.
I felt her presence all week. Call me crazy, I don't care. A rainbow, a song, a light drizzle, a wave crashing at my feet, a heart-shaped seashell, her smell at the acai bowl spot, the pink haze around the full moon, a wild thunderstorm in the middle of the night, a pair of pelicans, "American Girl" ... all made me think of her <3
Without worrying about emails, text messages, phones or watches buzzing and vibrating, social media, or what's going on beyond my view, I was open to see, hear, smell, touch, taste, and feel all of the incredible joys of vacation with my family, including those signs from Momma.
These also included beaching and enjoying lots of key lime pie, running 20 miles, biking 17 miles including many with Fiona, Yoga on the Green, a day at H2OBX, water gun fights, obstacle courses in the pool, a "Sunrise" Duck Donut every morning, reading, helping (minimally) with 2 puzzles, painting, live music, shopping, cooking and eating some local seafood (courtesy of Nick and John's fishing trip), beach bocce, UNO, collecting seashells, and sipping tasty local brews.
With Hurricane Erin approaching this special, fragile place, I hope everyone who calls it home is safe, and there is little to no damage <3
Comments
Post a Comment